Image Map

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Pie



MAR 11, 2012 - NOTE: Check out my updated version of this pie with a salted caramel layer!!!







To close off the month of pies I decided to go with something decadent and different.  A pie with a less traditional crust and a simple filling that will make you melt.  It has been a fun month trying new fillings, new crusts, some pies with fruit and some with creamy chocolate fillings. Pie options are endless. The good thing is I barely made a dent in Martha's book.   There are still so many wonderful looking recipes in her book I would love to try, so there maybe a month of pies round 2 in the next year.   Hope you enjoyed all the pies this month and hope you can create your own sweet twists on them.  


(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes one 9-inch pie.


INGREDIENTS:

Crust
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • Approx 4-5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Filling
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (around 60% cacao)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1 Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut and sugar until mixture forms a ball or starts to stick together, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Combine this mixture with the remaining two-thirds coconut using your hands to bring together


2 Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Cover the crust lightly with tin foil over the edges, and cut a hole in the center.  Keeping the edges covered to prevent burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; remove foil and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.


3 Make the filling:  In a small sauce pan bring cream just to a boil.  While cream is heating up, place chopped chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl.  Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to melt.  Stir to combine and melt remaining chocolate.  The mixture should be smooth and completely melted. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day. 



If you like chocolate and coconut together you will love this pie.  The coconut crust is simply awesome, crunchy and  I need to come up with more ways to use this.   Both crust and filling were in perfect proportions.  Using a dark chocolate I think is also critical so the pie doesn't become overly sweet.

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS

coconut, chocolate, pie


AUGUST MONTH OF PIES SUMMARY
Strawberry Pie
Peach & Berry Cornmeal Tart
Mississippi Mud Pie
Blueberry Peach Pie
Coconut Chocolate Pie

Other Pies from Year
Blueberry Goat Cheese Pie
Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Pie
No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Tart
Mint and Mini Egg Chocolate Tarts








34 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely gorgeous! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness me...you dont understand how much im craving right now! It is well known in my home how much i am addicted to the coco-choco combination so this is just calling my name BIG time! Beeeauutiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. I want this NOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good crust idea! I never thought of it, but it's perfect. I'm certainly going to use this in the future and experiment with different fillings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gluten free and this is a great crust to use for me. Plus the combo looks amazing. Writing down the ingredients right now to make this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmm, your pie looks so good, I love the coconut-chocolate combination and this looks like a winner to me. Can't wait to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for our company last night. The coconut crust fell to the bottom of the pie plate. On recommendation of a friend that made this, I added a cup of coconut to the chocolate mix. It was great! Tasted just like a mounds bar. This has got to be my favorite pie ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m doing a special feature on my blog this month called 30 days of desserts which each day I feature a different dessert from different bloggers featuring their recipe and blog (etsy shops, fb pages, etc…). I came across your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in participating! Just let me know!

    Thanks,
    Summer Jo Brooks
    Author of Believing Boldly
    www.believingboldly.com
    believingboldly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this last night with some girl friends and it was in-cred-i-ble! So rich, creamy, and decadent...like really soft fudge. The only small problem I had was the pie crust stuck to the bottom of the pan so it looked messy instead of a perfect piece of pie like yours in the picture (sorry for the tongue twister...=D). Anyway, it really didn't matter because we ate it regardless...but are there any suggestions you could make on how to make it stay all intact and keep the crust from sticking? Thanks for the recipe...this pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pie was so good. I made it tonight for dessert because my mother in-law can't have gluten.
    I used a 9" inch pie plate and I only had to use about 5 cups of coconut and I didn't have to use all of the coconut. I probably will only use about 3 1/2 cups of coconut next time.
    Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsay : you could line the very bottom of the pie plate with parchment or do a light cover with non-stick spray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok great! I'll try that next time..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this today. I sprayed the pie plate with a light coat of non-stick spray and the crust was beautiful. The filling set nicely, too. This is one tasty dessert I will make again! Thanks for the receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found this via pinterest and it looks amazing. Chocolate and coconut are two of my favourite foods, so I'm sure I'll love it! However, I'm participating in a fundraising bake sale and I'm not sure if this is a good fit (if not, I'll make this for another occasion) - does it have to be stored in the fridge or could it stand about 8 hours (unless it sels out quickly, of course)? Also, is it okay to use dessicated coconut (I'm not sure it's the same as shredded coconut)?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't leave it out for 8 hours, the ganache center would get quite soft. I believe dessicated is more finely ground than shredded, you may just need more butter to hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this last night and had some issues.
    The crust didn't want to hold together at all before baking it, so I just kept adding this, but that didn't help. When it was baked, it was kind of hard, but I might have baked it too long. Do you think I should use more butter next time and less coconut? Is sugar essential for the texture or could I leave it out (because my chocolate is 40% cacao)?
    The filling is very soft, what could I do to make it firmer?

    I hope that's not too many questions, but overall the taste was good, it was just the texture I want to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would use less coconut, from what I remember I think I actually had a bit of coconut left over, so go with less coconut. You do want the crust to get hard so that it holds together, if it was too hard it may have been over baked. Tough to say.
    If you are using unsweetened coconut I would add a bit of sugar, you could always used sweetened coconut and cut sugar out completely. It is really up to you depending on what level of sweetness you like.

    Did you allow the pie to set for enough time? That is all I can think of why it wouldn't be firm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I left it overnight, but the filling was very gooey. Oh well, I will try to make adjustions tomorrow, hopefully successfully. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chocolate and coconut are my fave combo and I'll def be making this one soon! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's wonderful! I add your google +!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter just served this for the family SuperBowl get together-WOW! it turned out fantastic -

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks absolutely delicious, can't wait to try making it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone. It is an awesome pie, wait until you see the kicked up version I just made.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What is "bittersweet" chocolate? Is it the same as semisweet or unsweetened? These are the only two options I can find at the store. I am making this for a Relay for Life fundraiser this week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh...hurry and post the kicked up version - want to make it tomorrow (3/12) for our anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bittersweet chocolate is a dark chocolate - in between a unsweetened and semi sweet. Look for a dark chocolate atleast 72% cocoa

    ReplyDelete
  27. The kicked up version is posted - it has a salted caramel layer. check out the link at the beginning of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG!!! WOW... I am - speechless. These pictures look amazing. I need one piece of this cake right know. Looks like the best good-mood-food ever!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh man...I love anything coconut! I can only imagine how incredible this pie must taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would like to make this for Thanksgiving, but I need to travel the day before. Will it keep well for the holiday if I make it on Tuesday? What is the best way to preserve it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. @MEB - If you plan on eating it on Thursday, it will preserve. I would just keep it wrapped or in an airtight container and keep it as cool as possible so the ganache remains well set.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Made this tonight for Thanksgiving, and if you don't mind, I'm going to use the comments section to make notes for myself for the next time I make this. :)

    Tonight I made this and used 10 oz of shredded coconut and 4 oz. of raw butter with the sugar for my crust. Turned out magnificently.

    For the filling, I used 1.5 cups of full-fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchen brand) and 12 oz chocolate. I was using a deep pie dish and wanted the extra filling. The proportions turned out perfect and the filling set up very firm. I was pleasantly surprised.

    Luckily, I had just enough crust and filling left over to make a tiny pie in a custard cup. It was the perfect tester. I predict the pie will not last long on Thanksgiving day. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can you make this dairy free?? If so, what measurements/ingredients would you use for the butter and heavy cream? Thinking coconut milk and coconut oil??

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...